You are not a natural leader.
You are not an adaptive leader or a leader by circumstance.
You are not a leader because your father or mother was a leader. Or because you were in the Army or Marines.
You are not a leader because you got a Harvard MBA, read some books, listen to some podcasts, or attend some seminars.
You are not a leader because your boss said so, you started a company, or even because your title says “Team Leader.”
You are a leader only by choice.
Great leaders are not born. Great leaders are not made. Great leaders are not taught, trained, appointed, or promoted into leadership.
Most bosses and “team leaders” are not leaders. They never choose to be.
- Let’s meet our quota
- We need to reduce turnover.
- I think we can cut costs by 10%.
- I hope I get a raise.
- I hope I get promoted.
- When will management ______?
They never choose to lead.
Most parents are not leaders. They never choose to be.
- The world today is so ______.
- My children are not so bad.
- But my parents never _____.
- This is all I know.
- I’m just trying to make it.
- When will the schools ______?
- I hope my children are not like me, but what can I do?
Meet the quota, make minimal impact, blame society, aim for average, continue the cycle, hope for change, but do nothing to bring it. That is what most people do. They assume that leaders are born:
- Intelligent and well-spoken
Most people think these traits are natural and therefore elusive to the masses. Nothing could be further from the truth.
Great leaders choose to be great. Great leaders choose to:
- Destroy the quota.
- Change the world.
- Blame no one.
- Break destructive cycles and patterns. (In themselves, their family, and organizations)
- Make change happen.
- Step out of their comfort zone.
- Be bold and energetic.
- Continually learn and practice.
They choose to be great.
What choices can you make today to be a great leader?